2022 CWEEL GOVERNING BOARD APPLICATIONS OPEN FOR CWEEL AWARDS, SCHOLARSHIPS AND STUDENT ENRICHMENT COMMITTEE
The Governing Board of the Council on Women in Energy & Environmental Leadership (CWEEL) is seeking to fill one CWEEL board position effective January 1, 2022. Each CWEEL board member is responsible for leading a functional area or program in support of the CWEEL mission. The board position will be replacing the current board member for CWEEL Awards, Scholarships and Student Enrichment Committee. This is an extraordinary opportunity for individuals who are passionate about gender equity in the energy sector; are called to support the success of CWEEL; and have a track record of volunteerism and leadership. CWEEL’s mission is to provide a network for women in the energy and environmental industries that can assist in supporting career development for professional women, mentoring for young and aspiring women to pursue technical education and careers in the energy and environmental fields, and scholarships on a global level. CWEEL is a division of the nonprofit Association of Energy Engineers.
CWEEL is governed by a volunteer Governing Board. The board serves to establish and fulfill the mission and objectives of CWEEL. The board sets policies; provides oversight and management of the organization; and participates in the execution of the strategic plan.
The CWEEL board members each serve a three-year term. Each board member chairs a CWEEL committee, and the committee meetings are held as determined by each Committee Chair but no less than quarterly. Service on CWEEL’s board of directors is voluntary and without remuneration or reimbursement for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to board members’ duties. CWEEL board meetings are held monthly.
CWEEL Awards, Scholarships and Student Enrichment Committee
Board Member Qualifications
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
· Professional experience in business, government, philanthropy, science/manufacturing, or the nonprofit sector related to energy and environmental sectors and/or women’s advancement
· Experience mentoring and working with students at all levels
· A commitment to and understanding of CWEEL’s mission preferably based on experience
· A natural affinity for cultivating relationships, attracting new members and facilitating consensus-building among diverse individuals
· Fluent in English with excellent written and oral communication skills and a natural affinity for public speaking
· Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for supporting women in the energy and environmental fields
Board Member Responsibilities
· Regularly attend board meetings and important related meetings with voting on board matters
· Makes a commitment to participate actively in committee work – including developing and managing committees
· Volunteer for and willingly accept assignments and complete them thoroughly and on time
· Stay informed about committee matters, prepare for meetings, and review and comment on minutes and reports
· Get to know other committee members and build a collegial working relationship that contributes to consensus
· Is an active participant in the committee’s annual evaluation and planning efforts
· Participates in fundraising for the organization
CWEEL Board Structure
There are currently 11 board positions, as follows:
1. Membership – US
2. Membership – International
3. Programs & Events – US
4. Programs & Events – International
5. International CWEEL Groups
6. Career Advancement
7. Chapter Liaisons
8. Marketing, Communication & Social Media
9. Mentor Program
10. Awards, Scholarships & Student Enrichment – OPEN
11. Fundraising & Corporate Sponsors
A description of the open position is provided below. If you have any questions you may contact Laurie Wiegand-Jackson, CWEEL Board Chair, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CWEEL Awards, Scholarships & Student Enrichment
CWEEL offers two CWEEL Champion awards each year to one US and one international CWEEL group that shows exemplary support of the CWEEL mission at the local level. Awards are given to the AEE chapter that is the CWEEL champion and to the CWEEL Chapter Liaison, Chapter Lead, or other local chapter Member that has been the strongest advocate and CWEEL volunteer in that local chapter. The Committee is responsible for soliciting and reviewing all applications for the CWEEL champion awards and making the recommendations to the CWEEL governing board for approval in a timely manner.
CWEEL helps fund higher education of female students in STEM studies. We provide scholarships that are distributed through the AEE Foundation, a 501c(3) non-profit organization. The committee is responsible for soliciting and reviewing all applications for CWEEL scholarships in accordance with standard processes and working closely with the AEE staff to make recommendations of award. The committee also works closely with the CWEEL fundraising committee to raise funds for scholarships each year.
In addition to the above responsibilities, this committee will adopt a new objective to help develop student CWEEL groups at colleges and universities and encourage student development and awareness of opportunities in STEM careers in the energy sector.
The CWEEL Committee chair is responsible for recruiting and developing the CWEEL Awards, Scholarships & Student Enrichment committee, providing leadership and strategic planning, and interfacing with the other associated committees. The committee chair has overall responsibility for achieving the goals of the committee.
Applications are due to Laurie Wiegand-Jackson, CWEEL Board Chair, via email at email@example.com no later than Friday December 24, 2021. The CWEEL Board expects to make its selection in late December 2021 or early January 2022 with the new board positions effective in January 2022.