Open CWEEL Governing Council Position
The Governing Board of the Council on Women in Energy & Environmental Leadership (CWEEL) is seeking to fill one CWEEL board position effective March 1, 2024. Each CWEEL board member is responsible for leading a functional area or program in support of the CWEEL mission. The board position will be replacing the current board member for CWEEL Fundraising and Sponsors Committee Chair. This is an extraordinary opportunity for individuals who are passionate about gender equity in the energy sector, are called to support the success of CWEEL, and have a track record of volunteerism and leadership. CWEEL’s mission is to provide a network for women in the energy and environmental industries. We support career development for professional women, mentoring for young and aspiring women to pursue technical education and careers in the energy and environmental fields, and scholarships on a global level. CWEEL is a division of the nonprofit Association of Energy Engineers.
CWEEL is governed by a volunteer Governing Board. The board serves to establish and fulfill the mission and objectives of CWEEL. The board sets policies; provides oversight and management of the organization; and participates in the execution of the strategic plan.
The CWEEL board members each serve a three-year term. Each board member chairs a CWEEL committee, and the committee meetings are held as determined by each Committee Chair but no less than quarterly. Service on CWEEL’s board of directors is voluntary and without remuneration or reimbursement for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to board members’ duties. CWEEL board meetings are held monthly.
CWEEL Fundraising and Sponsors Committee Chair.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Demonstrated success in planning and executing fundraising campaigns.
- Knowledge of various fundraising methods, including events, corporate sponsorships, and individual donations.
- Ability to develop and implement long-term fundraising strategies aligned with the CWEEL’s mission and goals.
- Strong analytical skills to assess the effectiveness of fundraising efforts and make data-driven decisions.
- Experience in leading and motivating a committee.
- Ability to delegate tasks effectively and coordinate efforts toward common fundraising objectives.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills for effectively conveying the CWEEL’s mission and fundraising needs to potential sponsors.
- Public speaking skills for representing the organization at events and meetings.
- Established network of contacts in the energy industry.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with potential sponsors.
- Understanding of budgeting and financial management, as fundraising often involves budgetary considerations.
- Ability to track and report on fundraising performance.
Commitment to CWEEl’s Mission:
- Genuine passion for and belief in the CWEEL’s mission and goals.
- Ability to articulate CWEEL’s value proposition to potential supporters.
- Capacity to identify challenges and develop creative solutions to overcome obstacles in the fundraising process.
Candidates for the Sponsorship and Fundraising Committee Chair should demonstrate a track record of success in generating financial support for organizations, combined with the ability to lead and inspire others in the pursuit of CWEEL’s fundraising goals.
Board Member Responsibilities
- Regularly attend board meetings (minimum 8 of 12 meetings per year) and important related meetings with voting on board matters
- Makes a commitment to participate actively in committee work – including developing and managing committees.
- Volunteer for and willingly accept assignments and complete them thoroughly and on time.
- Stay informed about committee matters, prepare for meetings, and review and comment on minutes and reports.
- Get to know other committee members and build a collegial working relationship that contributes to consensus.
- Is an active participant in the committee’s annual evaluation and planning efforts.
- Participate in fundraising for the organization.
- Attend at least one (1) AEE Conference in person annually – AEE East, AEE West and AEE World
CWEEL Board Structure
There are currently 11 board positions, as follows:
1. Membership – US
2. Membership – International
3. Programs & Events – US
4. Programs & Events – International
5. International CWEEL Groups
6. Career Advancement
7. Chapter Liaisons
8. Marketing, Communication & Social Media
9. Mentor Program
10. Awards, Scholarships & Student Enrichment
11. Fundraising & Corporate Sponsorships- OPEN
If you are interested in applying for this position, please provide the following information:
· The board position for which you are applying along with a statement of experience and skills to meet the qualifications and responsibilities for this position (see above descriptions)
· A statement of your goals and purpose for applying to the CWEEL board
· A copy of your CV/bio
· A statement that you will commit to:
· Becoming/remaining an active member of the Association of Energy Engineers and CWEEL during your term;
· Attending at least one CWEEL Board Meeting each year in person (there are three in-person board meetings held in conjunction with AEE’s three US conferences). If you have any concerns with meeting this requirement, please explain in your application.
· Two written references (preferably at least one from an active AEE member and/or CWEEL member)
Applications are due to Deborah Lenny, CWEEL Board Co-Chair, via email at [email protected] no later than January 15, 2024. The CWEEL Board expects to make its selection in February 2024 with the new board position effective in March 1, 2024.