CWEEL Governing Board – Solicitation for Applications for Open CWEEL Governing Council position 2023-2025 Term
The Governing Board of the Council on Women in Energy & Environmental Leadership (CWEEL) is seeking to fill one CWEEL board position effective January 1, 2023. Each CWEEL council member is responsible for leading a functional area or program in support of the CWEEL mission. The position will be replacing the current council member for CWEEL Career Development Committee. This is an extraordinary opportunity for individuals who are passionate about gender equity in the energy sector, are called to support the success of CWEEL, and have a track record of volunteerism and leadership. CWEEL’s mission is to provide a network for women in the energy and environmental industries. We support career development for professional women, mentoring for young and aspiring women to pursue technical education and careers in the energy and environmental fields, and scholarships on a global level. CWEEL is a division of the nonprofit Association of Energy Engineers.
CWEEL is governed by a volunteer Governing Council. The board serves to establish and fulfill the mission and objectives of CWEEL. The council sets policies; provides oversight and management of the organization; and participates in the execution of the strategic plan.
The CWEEL council members each serve a three-year term. Each member chairs a CWEEL committee, and the committee meetings are held as determined by each Committee Chair but no less than quarterly. Service on CWEEL’s Governing Council is voluntary and without remuneration or reimbursement for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to council members’ duties. CWEEL council meetings are held monthly.
CWEEL Career Development Committee
Council Member Qualifications
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Professional experience in business, government, philanthropy, science/manufacturing, or the nonprofit sector related to energy and environmental sectors and/or women’s advancement
- Experience developing career development and/or technical webinars, educational programs and presentations
- Experience advancing individual careers and career development strategies
- Experience managing a team, facilitating collaboration, delegating work, and addressing issues to ensure that all career development programs and events are well organized and run professionally and executed successfully with follow up to enhance & Build CWEEL membership
- A commitment to and understanding of CWEEL’s mission preferably based on experience
- A natural affinity for cultivating relationships, attracting new members and facilitating consensus-building among diverse individuals
- Fluent in English with excellent written and oral communication skills and a natural affinity for public speaking
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for supporting and developing women in the energy and environmental fields
Council Member Responsibilities
- Regularly attend board meetings (minimum 8 of 12 meetings per year) and important related meetings with voting on council matters
- Makes a commitment to participate actively in committee work – including developing and managing committees
- Volunteer for and willingly accept assignments and complete them thoroughly and on time
- Stay informed about committee matters, prepare for meetings, and review and comment on minutes and reports
- Get to know other committee members and build a collegial working relationship that contributes to consensus
- Is an active participant in the committee’s annual evaluation and planning efforts
- Participate in fundraising for the organization
- Attend at least on AEE Conference in person annually – AEE East, AEE West and AEE World
CWEEL Council Structure
There are currently 11 Council Members, as follows:
1. Membership – US
2. Membership – International
3. Programs & Events – US
4. Programs & Events – International
5. International CWEEL Groups
6. Career Advancement - OPEN
7. Chapter Liaisons
8. Marketing, Communication & Social Media
9. Mentor Program
10. Awards, Scholarships & Student Enrichment
11. Fundraising & Corporate Sponsors
A description of the open position is provided below. If you have any questions you may contact Laurie Wiegand-Jackson, CWEEL Chair, via email at [email protected].
CWEEL Career Development Committee
CWEEL provides both technical and professional advancement training through its Career Development Committee. The focus has been on developing webinar series that provide information about (1) career opportunities in the energy sector (2) managing work/life balance, (3) effective networking, (4) management training, (5) members spotlight series, and more. These programs are integral to the value that CWEEL provides its members.
The CWEEL Committee chair is responsible for recruiting and developing the CWEEL Career Development committee, providing leadership and strategic planning, and interfacing with the other associated committees. The committee chair has overall responsibility for achieving the goals of the committee.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please provide the following information:
- The council position for which you are applying along with a statement of experience and skills to meet the qualifications and responsibilities for this position (see above descriptions)
- A statement of your goals and purpose for applying to the CWEEL council
- A copy of your CV/bio
- A statement that you will commit to:
- Becoming/remaining an active member of the Association of Energy Engineers and CWEEL during your term;
- Attending at least one CWEEL Council Meeting each year in person (there are three in-person board meetings held in conjunction with AEE’s three US conferences). If you have any concerns with meeting this requirement, please explain in your application
- Two written references (preferably at least one from an active AEE member and/or CWEEL member)
Applications are due to Laurie Wiegand-Jackson, CWEEL Chair, via email at [email protected] no later than Friday October 7, 2022 The CWEEL Council expects to make its selection in October 2022 with the new board position effective in January 2023.